Featured Post

Food from a Kit - It's What's for Dinner

If you're like me, your Facebook feed and Pinterest are filled with sponsored ads from any number of meal kit sites with offers of ...

Friday, September 2, 2016

Sweet-and-Sour Pork over Bulgur Wheat

I held the Sweet-and-Sour Pork back as the last meal from this Hello Fresh box because I thought the veggies in it would hold up the longest.  That was a good assumption.  After more than a week in my fridge the bell peppers and scallions were still in pretty good shape.

First step is to prep the veggies.  You chop the peppers, garlic and scallions.  Also, chop up the pork into bite size pieces.  Toss it with salt, pepper and corn starch.    Set that aside, while you cook the bulgur.

I'm not sure if I'd ever had bulgur before.  I definitely had never cooked it.  But that was super easy.  Just throw it in the pot with water and half the tube of chicken stock concentrate. Once it boils, reduce the heat, cover and let it cook for 15 minutes.

While that cooks, make the sauce, combining half the bottle of white wine vinegar, rest of the stock concentrate, soy sauce, water and sugar (not included).  Set that aside and focus back on the pork.

Put a thin layer of vegetable or canola oil in a skillet or wok and heat up.  When the pan is good and hot, add in the pork and cook for a few minutes until it's browned.  Remove it from the pan to a plate, while you cook the veggies, starting with the garlic and scallion.  When those are fragrant, add the bell peppers for four to five minutes.  Season and add the pork back to the pan and toss in the sauce.  Cook that down for a couple of minutes until the sauce coats the meat and peppers.

The bulgur should be done now, so fluff it up with a fork, make a bed of it on the plates and top with the sweet-and-sour pork.  Garnish with the scallion greens and enjoy.

 I found that I really like bulgur wheat.  I don't usually think of serving Asian dishes with anything but rice, but the bulgur gives you an extra dose of fiber, so it's a great alternative.  I liked the slightly nutty flavor.  My only complaint about this dish is I wish there was a little more sauce.  It was all a little dry for my tastes, but all in all a good meal.

I'm all out of Hello Fresh Meals, but I'm looking forward to cracking open my first Home Chef box and making Spaghetti with Ricotta Meatballs!









No comments:

Post a Comment