Featured Post

Food from a Kit - It's What's for Dinner

If you're like me, your Facebook feed and Pinterest are filled with sponsored ads from any number of meal kit sites with offers of ...

Friday, September 2, 2016

Pistachio-Crusted Chicken with Quinoa

Again, I waited way too long after receiving this meal kit from Hello Fresh before I got around to cooking it. Luckily I had purchased an extra cucumber when I made the Greek Gyros the night before. I was optimistic about this dish though. I love quinoa and pistachios, so it seemed like the perfect meal and it turned out to be really tasty.
First thing's first - the quinoa.  Combine water with a vegetable stock concentrate and quinoa with a pinch of salt in a pot and bring it to a boil.  Once it boils, reduce the heat and simmer for 15-20 minutes until the quinoa is done. 
Then prep the chicken.   The kit came with a one ounce jar of dijon, but since I keep dijon all the time in my fridge, I just used a tablespoon out of it, so I didn't break the seal on the cute little container.  I took it to the office, who knows when you need a little mustard?  You spread that tablespoon of dijon on the salted and peppered chicken breasts.  Then chop up the pistachios and press them into the mustard, so that they stick.  Jesse complained I didn't chop the nuts fine enough, but I liked them a little rustic.
 Put those in the oven for about twenty minutes, until they are cooked through and the juices run clear.

Next up, the you make the jalapeno salad.  Dice the cucumber, shallot and tomato.  Toss with chopped mint and some lime zest and juice. Then throw in chopped jalapeno and a little olive oil and salt and pepper.

Last thing, fluff up the quinoa with a fork, season it with salt, pepper and the sherry vinegar that was in the box. Plate it up by piling the quinoa on the bottom, topped with sliced chicken and the salad.   Jesse made up a nice cocktail with blueberry syrup, gin and mint that went really nicely with the dinner.  The chicken was juicy and the salsa had just enough heat.  Overall, two satisfied customers that night.  On the menu tomorrow: Sweet-and-Sour Pork over Bulger Wheat









No comments:

Post a Comment