Featured Post

Food from a Kit - It's What's for Dinner

If you're like me, your Facebook feed and Pinterest are filled with sponsored ads from any number of meal kit sites with offers of ...

Thursday, September 1, 2016

Jamie's Spiced Crispy Beef Salad with Noodles & Crunchy Veggies

I had high hopes for this meal.  I have an Asian food addiction, but for me, this just missed the mark.  The kit contained lots of my favorite ingredients: carrots, cucumber, basil, mint, ginger and asian rice noodles.

The instructions say to boil some water and pour that over the noodles for about five minutes.  Then add the herb stems and let it all soak until the noodles are soft.  I probably let the noodles soak for 45 minutes and they were still pretty hard.  So I ended up microwaving the bowl of noodles a couple of times for two minutes each to speed up that process.  After work, I'm too impatient to wait to eat.


While the noodles soak, you process the veggies.   You run an peeler down two sides of the carrot to make ribbons.  Pluck the leaves off the herbs and slice the cucumber into half moons.  Chop the green onion, garlic and ginger.  You also separate the romaine lettuce leaves and go ahead and lay them out onto a plate.

Next, brown up the beef in a skillet until it's crispy.  For me, it never got crispy.  I think I just didn't have my pan heated up enough before I started cooking the beef.  Once it's brown, add the garlic and half the ginger.  Let that cook a couple minutes, then add hone and sesame seeds and cool another minute.

Toss the noodles, carrots, scallions and the rest of the ginger with the soy sauce, olive oil and lime juice.  Then make little piles of noodles in each lettuce leaf.  The Hello Fresh photo made this meal look more like a salad, but after making it, I found it was more of a lettuce wrap, which I usually like. Fill the lettuce ups with beef and top with sesame seeds and some remaining scallions.


This meal was okay, but it just didn't dazzle me.  I felt like it needed a little heat.  Rereading the recipe, there was supposed to be a red chile in the kit.  I must have missed it in the bottom of the box or something because I didn't find it.   On to the next meal: Greek Gyro Skewers -More food on a stick!




No comments:

Post a Comment