Featured Post

Food from a Kit - It's What's for Dinner

If you're like me, your Facebook feed and Pinterest are filled with sponsored ads from any number of meal kit sites with offers of ...

Monday, September 5, 2016

Charred Caprese Tartine

All of my Home Chef meals have been great, but I'll admit I was saving what I hoped was best for last.  Charred Caprese Tartines looked pretty much like pizza and that's what I was hoping they would taste like! 
First though - the negative.  Take a look at the ingredients picture... do you notice something is missing?  Only, the most important ingredient, THE CHEESE!

Not to worry, Jesse to the rescue!  He ran to the grocery and bought an 8 ounce package of little mozzarella pearls.  The recipe called for 4 ounces, so we managed to eat what we wouldn't be putting on the tartines while we prepped.  So yummy!

Now, about that prep.  You start with stemming the basil and cutting it into chiffonade.   Basically, you roll the leaves like a cigar and slice.  Mince the garlic and halve the baguettes length-wise.  Heat up the grill pan.  Toast the pine nuts in a skillet over low heat, just until you can smell them.  Don't be like me... I usually burn nuts when I toast them.   

Then make the garlic dressing by whisking together garlic, champagne vinegar and and olive oil. Season with salt and pepper.  Set that aside. 

Then brush the cut sides of the bread with olive oil then put it on the grill to char.  It shouldn't take more than a few minutes. Be careful not to burn that either!  

Next the recipe says to char the tomatoes on the grill after tossing with olive oil and seasonings.  Since my grill pan is in the oven, I decided to just blister the tomatoes in a cast iron pan.   I think it worked just fine.   Smash the tomatoes with the back of a wooden spoon to make them a little spreadable.  


Top the bread with the charred tomatoes and the mozzarella pearls that you haven't already eaten. Sprinkle on the pine nuts and spoon a bit of the dressing on each piece of bread.   Toss the remaining dressing with the spinach.   Serve 2 tartines with a side of spinach salad.   This meal was so delicious.  It was everything I had hoped!  One tartine was probably enough with the side salad, but we each ate two because they were so good. 

That was the last of my Home Chef meals, so next week, it's on to Green Chef.  First up, a Mediterranean Tuna Burger.





No comments:

Post a Comment