Featured Post

Food from a Kit - It's What's for Dinner

If you're like me, your Facebook feed and Pinterest are filled with sponsored ads from any number of meal kit sites with offers of ...

Friday, September 2, 2016

Greek Gyro Skewers

Next up in my Hello Fresh box: Greek Gyro Skewers with Roasted Zucchini, Baked Pita Chips, and Cucumber Tzatziki.  This was supposed to be reminiscent of those rotisserie cooked meats hanging in your favorite Greek deli.  I wouldn't call it a disaster, but close to it.
We'd had a lot going on the week we got this kit, so it was about a week after delivery before we got around to cooking it.  The zucchini and cucumber were in bad shape, so I ran to the grocery store for replacements (the fresh produce is in the pic).

First step is to grate half the cucumber into a bowl for the Tzatziki sauce.

Slice the zucchini lengthwise and widthwise into spears.  Toss with some olive oil, salt and pepper and lay out on a sheet pan.  Roast them in the oven for about 15-20 minutes.

In a second bowl, add grated shallot, beef, oregano, panko, a tablespoon of yogurt, the rest of the garlic and half the mint.  Mix it up, like you're making meat balls, but shape it into logs.
Then you're going to brown them up in a skillet over medium-high heat.  Here's where things started to go sideways for me.  Once the logs are brown on all sides, you pull them out of the pan, put them on skewers and place them on the baking sheet with the zucchini.  My meat stuck to the pan and basically just crumbled when I tried to slide them onto the skewers.

The recipe then instructed to bake the meat and zucchini for another 10-12 minutes... So in all the zucchini was cooking for 25-32 minutes.  It was probably done in less than ten.  So it was just mush on the plate.

Cut the pitas into sixths, drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with a bit of salt and bake those for ten minutes.  You can see from the picture, ten minutes was too long, but I'm notorious for burning breads.  So my husband wasn't too surprised by that one!

Last step is to make the Tzatziki.  You take the rest of the yogurt, a squeeze of lemon, mint and garlic and toss it in the bowl with the cucumber.  Other times I've made Tzatziki, I've wrung out the cucumber so it wasn't too liquid. This recipe didn't tell you to do that, but I wish I would have anyway.  The sauce was really runny.  From meat lumped on the plate to zucchini mush and runny sauce, this meal just didn't work for us.  I hope to redeem myself and Hello Fresh tomorrow with Pistachio-Crusted Chicken with Quinoa



No comments:

Post a Comment