Featured Post

Food from a Kit - It's What's for Dinner

If you're like me, your Facebook feed and Pinterest are filled with sponsored ads from any number of meal kit sites with offers of ...

Monday, September 5, 2016

Pesto Orzo Steak

Green Chef's Pesto Orzo Steak was the perfect 25-minute meal, plenty of protein after our long run that morning and pasta and pesto were delicious notes that made us want to clean our plates.
First thing you do is start the water boiling for the pasta.

Then you prep the fennel, squash and snap peas.  Remove the core from the fennel and give it a fine dice.  Chop the squash and then clean the peas and cut them in half.

Then toast the walnuts over low heat and give them a chop.  They only take a few minutes to toast. Be careful not to burn them.

Turn the heat up on that pan, toss in some oil and sear up your steaks for about 4 minutes.  Flip them and add in the fennel and squash.  It wasn't until I got to this step that I noticed an ingredient was missing.  I didn't have any fire-roasted red peppers.  When I unpacked the Green Chef delivery, Jesse double checked that I got everything out, so I don't think I just missed it in the box.  But the meal seemed fine without it. After a few more minutes, remove the steaks to a cutting board to rest and toss the pasta in with the veggies.  Pour in the pesto and stir it all together.  Let it cook for a couple minutes.

Slice the steaks against the grain and plate.  I used pasta bowls and filled the bottoms with the orzo and veggies.  Top with the sliced steak and garnish with the chopped walnuts and gorgonzola (yum!).

This steak was really tender.  It had a really earthy, organic flavor.  I love  the tangy and salty pesto and the slight crispness and freshness of the fennel and squash.  It was filling and satisfying, while still being really healthy.

And since college football season kicked off, we moved the bistro table into the living room, so we could enjoy this delicious meal in front of the tv.

Next up: Apricot-Glazed Chicken. I can't wait!











No comments:

Post a Comment