Featured Post

Food from a Kit - It's What's for Dinner

If you're like me, your Facebook feed and Pinterest are filled with sponsored ads from any number of meal kit sites with offers of ...

Thursday, September 1, 2016

Jerk Chicken and Peach Skewers

WI was really excited to grill up these skewers from Hello Fresh.  I love sweet summer peaches and food on a stick is always fun.  The recipe card showed it was an easy, gluten-free, nut-free and dairy-free meal.  But I wanted to try it anyway.  The kit came with everything I needed, including the skewers.   The instructions said to preheat the broiler or oven or an outdoor grill.  I used the oven and my grill pan. 
As that heats up, you chop the snap peas and onion, and cut up the peaches and chicken for skewers.







Then start the rice.  With a bit of olive oil in the pot, saute half the onion, then add the curry powder, chicken stock concentrate, rice and water. When it boils, you reduce the heat and cover for about 15 minutes.  About five minutes before it's done, add the peas to the pot.  I've seen peas in rice dishes before, but never snap peas.  It turned out pretty good, but seemed a little strange. 




While you cook the rice, marinate the chicken with the jerk seasoning, peaches and rest of the onion.  Alternate between chicken, peach and onion as you thread those ingredients onto the skewers.   Put them on the grill, grill pan or on a cookie sheet under the broiler.  Turn them once in the twelve minutes it takes to cook them.  I should probably have oiled the grill pan.  I had a real struggle pulling the skewers off the grill.  I left about half the peaches. 
You plate it up by piling up some rice and top with two skewers.  Garnish with a slice of lemon to squirt over the plate before you gobble it up.  Over all this was a pretty good meal, which made me happy that I had another Hello Fresh box waiting on my porch that morning, so I have another week of great meals to cook.  Next up: Jamie's Spiced Crispy Beef Salad with Noodles & Crunchy Veggies.

No comments:

Post a Comment